TITLE: DENTAL DIRECTOR, Villa Therese Catholic Clinic , Dental Provider, Dentist, DDS
This position is responsible for administering, maintaining, and expanding a program of primary (and in some cases, secondary care) and preventive dental care in a free clinic setting. The Dental Director supervises the dental volunteers and staff of the free clinic. The Dental Director provides dental advice and counsel to the Executive Director and the Villa Therese Board of Directors regarding the dental department.
Accountable to and receives direction from the Executive Director.
- Examines individuals requesting care, diagnoses their dental / oral health conditions, prescribes, and carries out, or directs others in carrying out, appropriate dental/oral treatment, refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and guidelines.
- Records patient-dentist contacts as they occur in the patient dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient, and the care or treatment provided. In addition, the Dental Director shall complete referrals, data collection instruments and other records or documents as may be sometimes required by the organization.
- Educate individuals in oral health related conditions and in the general promotion of oral health related disease prevention. Include documentation of such educational conversations with patients in patient record.
- Serves on the Quality Committee and other VTCC Committees as needed. Serves as the Chair of the Dental Department’s Peer Review Committee
- Prepares and submits monthly written reports on Dental Department issues, concerns, program status, initiatives, and progress to the Executive Director and the VTCC Board of Directors. Prepares specific reports as needed by the VTCC Executive Director.
- Assists in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of VTCC staff as requested.
- Designs, develops, and implements appropriate Dental Department policies, procedures, and protocols which follow accepted, professional standards.
- Assists in the provision of oral health education for VTCC patients and the community as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of the operating budget for the Dental Department and in conjunction with the Executive Director and Finance Committee and oversees compliance with the Dental Department’s budget. In addition, the Dental Director shall assist in the preparation of special grant and project budget as needed to meet the goals of the clinic.
- Participates in short, and long-term program planning for the Dental Department and the clinic, including development goals and objectives.
- Assists in the coordination and integration of the clinic’s dental programs and services with other VTCC Clinic programs and services for the welfare of the patients.
- Supervises, advises, counsels, and disciplines all Dental Department professional providers and ancillary staff in conjunction with the Executive Director of the clinic.
- Responsible for personal as well as Dental Department full compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, as well as VTCC Policies & Procedures, regulations, and NM governing practice of dentistry and the clinical provision of dental care, as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, workplace safety, public health, and confidentiality.
- Participates in recruitment and retention activities of all clinical and non-clinical Dental Department positions (employee, contractor, and volunteer), as necessary.
LICENSURE AND SKILLS
- Candidates must have/obtain active, unrestricted NM dental license and current DEA
- Bilingual English/Spanish skills preferred
- Experience in a clinical setting and serving diverse populations preferred
- Computer experience: ability to Dentrix Ascend for dental patient charting