TITLE: DENTAL ASSISTANT, Villa Therese Catholic Clinic
PRN, Non-Exempt (approximately 30 hours per month)
Supports dental care delivery by preparing treatment room, patient, instruments, and materials; passing instruments and materials; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
This position assists the Dentist at chairside during examination and treatment of patient. The position also involves assisting in the dental lab and performing electronic patient charting using Open Dental software and clerical duties related to the dental program.
Accountable to and receives direction from the Executive Director, and Dental Director.
DENTAL ASSISTANT MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares treatment room for patient by following prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Provides instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentist’s access; suctioning; passing instruments.
- Provides materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments and in the patient’s mouth.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic studies, pouring, trimming, and polishing study casts.
- Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drug and oxygen supply, and emergency telephone directory.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene, plaque control, and postoperative instructions.
- Documents dental care services by charting in patient electronic records (Open Dental).
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements (i.e. spore testing); following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains dental supplies inventory for entire dental department by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Dental Health Maintenance, Use of Dental Technology, Infection Control, Patient Services, creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Listening, Teamwork, Bedside Manner, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Use of Medical Technologies, Performing Diagnostic Procedures. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required. One-year Dental Assistant certificate from college or technical school; OR minimum of one-year related experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of experience and education.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Active Dental Assistant License issued by the NM Dental Board required; Certification in the following areas preferred: Dental Radiography (DACR), Rubber Cup Coronal Polishing, Application of Topical Fluoride, and Pit and Fissure Sealant Application.